General characteristics of Disinfectants
ALCOHOLS (Isopropyl or Ethyl Alcohol)
- Wide germicidal activity, non corrosive, but poses a fire hazard.
- Limited residual activity due to evaporation.
- Alcohols provide limited activity in the presence of organic matter.
- Not considered effective against bacterial or fungal spores.
- Excellent for disinfecting instruments or other small objects.
- Too expensive for general use in the hatchery.
- Must use as a 70-95% concentration for effectiveness.
HALOGENS (Iodines or hypochlorites)
- Provide wide germicidal activity but are corrosive.
- Limited activity when in the presence of organic matter.
- Poor residual activity, low toxicity, but may stain surfaces.
- Not effective as sporocidal agents.
- Effective at low concentrations for disinfecting clean, small objects.
- Low cost but requires frequent applications.
QUATERNARY AMMONIUM COMPOUNDS
- Limited germicidal range.
- Not sporocidal, effective against vegetative bacteria, fungi and viruses.
- Reduced efficiency in the presence of organic matter.
- Limited effectiveness in soaps, detergents and hard water salts.
- Non-irritating, non-corrosive and low toxicity.
- Residual activity is limited by the amount of recontamination.
- Good disinfectant for use on cleaned surfaces.
- Low cost.
PHENOLICS (Single or Multiple)
- Wide germicidal range, not sporocidal.
- Low toxicity and low corrosiveness.
- Very effective in the presence of organic matter.
- Good residual activity and deodorizer.
- Low to moderate cost.
COAL TAR DISTILLATES ( Cresol and Cresylic Acid)
- Wide germicidal activity, not sporocidal.
- Corrosive and toxic at high concentrations.
- Excellent residual activity with heavy odor.
- Highly efficient in presence of organic matter.
- Not well suited for use near eggs or chicks due to noxious gases.
- Moderately expensive.
- Wide germicidal activity, sporocidal and fungicidal.
- Slight to moderate efficiency in presence of organic matter.
- Slight residual activity.
- Moderately toxic.
- Moderate cost.
OXIDIZING AGENTS (Hydrogen peroxide, Potassium Permanganate)
- Moderate to wide germicidal activity, not sporocidal.
- Rendered ineffective in the presence of organic matter.
- Moderately corrosive, limited toxicity.
- Poor to limited residual activity.
- More valuable as a cleansing and deodorizing agent.
- Moderate cost.
Tornadoes and damaging storms that swept through the state Easter Sunday afternoon and evening, killing 11 Mississippians also caused devastating losses to growers in the poultry industry.
The strict biosecurity measures already practiced in Mississippi’s $2.7 billion poultry industry allow this “essential critical infrastructure workforce” to continue business as usual during the COVID-19 pandemic.
STARKVILLE, Miss. -- Necessary restrictions on travel and gatherings are affecting how the Mississippi State University Extension Service operates, but its ability to respond to the needs of its clients, the public and state agencies during the COVID-19 pandemic continues uninterrupted.
Extension’s roles during crises are many: emergency management, local level assistance, support for the state’s agricultural industry, and dissemination of public information and education.
In 2019, Mississippi’s agricultural industry faced the prospect of dipping below $7 billion for the first time in eight years, but federal payments pushed its value up enough to post a slight gain over 2018.
The estimated value of Mississippi agriculture in 2019 is $7.39 billion, a 0.2% gain from last year’s $7.37 billion. Included in the total is an estimated $628 million in government payments, the largest amount of federal assistance Mississippi producers have seen since 2006