General characteristics of Disinfectants
ALCOHOLS (Isopropyl or Ethyl Alcohol)
- Wide germicidal activity, non corrosive, but poses a fire hazard.
- Limited residual activity due to evaporation.
- Alcohols provide limited activity in the presence of organic matter.
- Not considered effective against bacterial or fungal spores.
- Excellent for disinfecting instruments or other small objects.
- Too expensive for general use in the hatchery.
- Must use as a 70-95% concentration for effectiveness.
HALOGENS (Iodines or hypochlorites)
- Provide wide germicidal activity but are corrosive.
- Limited activity when in the presence of organic matter.
- Poor residual activity, low toxicity, but may stain surfaces.
- Not effective as sporocidal agents.
- Effective at low concentrations for disinfecting clean, small objects.
- Low cost but requires frequent applications.
QUATERNARY AMMONIUM COMPOUNDS
- Limited germicidal range.
- Not sporocidal, effective against vegetative bacteria, fungi and viruses.
- Reduced efficiency in the presence of organic matter.
- Limited effectiveness in soaps, detergents and hard water salts.
- Non-irritating, non-corrosive and low toxicity.
- Residual activity is limited by the amount of recontamination.
- Good disinfectant for use on cleaned surfaces.
- Low cost.
PHENOLICS (Single or Multiple)
- Wide germicidal range, not sporocidal.
- Low toxicity and low corrosiveness.
- Very effective in the presence of organic matter.
- Good residual activity and deodorizer.
- Low to moderate cost.
COAL TAR DISTILLATES ( Cresol and Cresylic Acid)
- Wide germicidal activity, not sporocidal.
- Corrosive and toxic at high concentrations.
- Excellent residual activity with heavy odor.
- Highly efficient in presence of organic matter.
- Not well suited for use near eggs or chicks due to noxious gases.
- Moderately expensive.
- Wide germicidal activity, sporocidal and fungicidal.
- Slight to moderate efficiency in presence of organic matter.
- Slight residual activity.
- Moderately toxic.
- Moderate cost.
OXIDIZING AGENTS (Hydrogen peroxide, Potassium Permanganate)
- Moderate to wide germicidal activity, not sporocidal.
- Rendered ineffective in the presence of organic matter.
- Moderately corrosive, limited toxicity.
- Poor to limited residual activity.
- More valuable as a cleansing and deodorizing agent.
- Moderate cost.
In a state where temperatures exceed 90 degrees more than 100 days a year, heat control in poultry houses is a very important consideration for Mississippi's biggest agricultural industry.
Poultry producers got off to a robust start in 2018, which helped the industry end the year strong.
STARKVILLE, Miss. -- More than a million backyard chicken flocks provide Americans with eggs, meat or companionship, a trend Mississippians embrace, but hobby farmers must learn proper care to keep them healthy.
RAYMOND, Miss. -- With low feed prices and healthy demand for broilers and eggs, the Mississippi poultry industry is poised for another productive year.
Baby chickens are so cute and cuddly that few people can resist holding them. Unfortunately, as public interest in raising backyard birds has grown so has the number of Salmonella outbreaks in the U.S. (Photo by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)