SAFETY Ambassador Program
4-H SAFETY AMBASSADOR PROGRAM
A 4-H SAFETY Ambassador is an authorized representative of the MSU Extension 4-H Youth Development Program. A 4-H SAFETY Ambassador is to be a self-motivated, enthusiastic leader who promotes 4-H SAFETY using the skills, knowledge, and leadership abilities acquired in 4-H with fellow members, area residents, community leaders, elected officials, and other young people. A 4-H SAFETY Ambassador serves to strengthen the 4-H program through public relations.
4-H SAFETY Ambassadors are youth representatives for the 4-H Youth Development Program; therefore young people with proven excellence in 4-H achievement and citizenship have the opportunity to become 4-H SAFETY Ambassadors.
Being selected as a 4-H SAFETY Ambassador is an honor that carries great responsibility. Ambassadors serve as emcees, program facilitators, and members of county and state council committees. 4-H SAFETY Ambassadors are role models who uphold high standards in making the best better in their clubs, communities, country, and world.
First and foremost a 4-H SAFETY Ambassador will promote firearms and archery safety and hold it in the highest regards. They will also bridge the gap between youth development and the project of shooting sports to enhance leadership, citizenship, and communication skills as teen leaders. 4-H SAFETY Ambassadors will be a voice other youth in the 4-H SAFETY program and will assist with programs in the state, serve as positive role models to youth, and will promote individual growth for themselves and other 4-H members.
- Promote safe and ethical behavior within the 4-H SAFETY project.
- Make 4-H SAFETY more visible in the county and across the state of Mississippi.
- Maintain and build relationships with 4-H alumni and supporters.
- Increase membership in the statewide 4-H SAFETY project.
- Promote individual growth for themselves as well as other 4-H members.
STATE MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS
- Must be a senior-level registered 4-H’er.
- Must have at least one full year left to be a 4-H member
- Must have a genuine commitment to 4-H.
- Must be willing to put a high priority on the responsibilities of serving as a State 4-H SAFETY Ambassador.
- Must have a genuine enthusiasm for 4-H.
- Must be a team player at all times.
- Serve as spokespersons for the 4-H SAFETY program at their respective levels of participation — national, regional, state, county — helping to make Mississippi’s 4-H SAFETY program more visible.
- Must be able to meet people easily.
- Must have academic performance that will permit being absent from school without seriously jeopardizing grades.
- Must be well groomed and willing to wear the official Ambassador attire.
- Must exhibit leadership skills and be in good standing with the local county 4-H program.
- Must be an active participant in the 4-H SAFETY Program.
- Must maintain a positive behavior.
- Must have excellent communication skills, in both formal and informal environments.
HOW TO APPLY
- Submit a cover letter, 4-H Ambassador Application, and two letters of support to the local county Extension office.
- Your Extension agent will submit a confidential letter of recommendation.
- Your Extension agent will submit all documents to the state 4-H office.
- A committee will judge the cover letters and vitae with judging rubrics.
- Applicants will be notified if they have been selected for an interview.
- The selected individuals will give a 7-minute presentation on a topic identified by the state 4-H SAFETY Advisory Board. Judges will ask questions about the presentation.
- A panel will use the State 4-H SAFETY Ambassador Judging Rubric to judge the applicants.
- Interviews and results will be announced during 4-H Congress.
- The judges’ decisions are final.
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE IN THE MSU EXTENSION STATE 4-H OFFICE BY APRIL 13, 2020.