Below is a list of Small Ruminant Livestock publications available. Publications can be obtained by contacting a county Extension office or clicking on a title below for an online version of the publication.
- New Information on Deworming for Small Ruminants
- Proceedings Paper - Anthelmintic Resistance and Management of Gastrointestinal Parasites in Small Ruminants: An Update
- A Suggested Health Program for Club Goats
- Common Diseases in Goats
- Goat Herd Health Calendar
- Hay Calculator Spreadsheet and Instructions
- Forage Production and Grazing Browsing Management - YouTube
- Meat Goat Selection Carcass Evaluation and Fabrication
- Goat Gestation Table
- Livestock Weight Calculator Spreadsheet for Youth Livestock Projects
- Publication 2781 – Meat Goat Management
- Publication 2782 – Meat Goat Selection
- Publication 2798 – Small Ruminent Budgeting and Marketing
The Meat Goat Memos are published throughout the year to address issues and events of importance to meat goat producers and youth project participants. Links to the most recent and archived issues appear below.
- A Quick Guide to Club Goat Selection
- A Quick Guide to Club Lamb Selection
- Goat Conformation
- Powerpoint Presentation The Junior Livestock Program
- Purchasing and Managing Your Market Lamb Project for the Show Ring
- Managing Your Club Goat Project and Preparing for the Show Ring
- Publication 2211 - Lamb Showmanship
- Publication 2264 - Club Goat Guide
- Publication 2263 - Club Goat Showmanship
- Publication 2477 - Market Lamb Project Guide: Health Care Management
- Publication 2478 - Market Lamb Project Guide: Nutrition
- Publication 2479 - Market Lamb Project Guide: Show Lamb Selection and Development
- Publication 2289 - Mississippi 4H Livestock Judging Manual - Sheep
ELLISVILLE, Miss. -- Mississippi State University representatives met with agricultural clients in Ellisville recently to discuss research and education needs for 2018. More than 115 individuals attended this year's event.
Agricultural clients met with Mississippi State University personnel to discuss research and education needs during the annual Producer Advisory Council Meeting for the southwest region February 20.
STARKVILLE, Miss. -- Those interested in running a sheep or goat operation can learn management and marketing techniques at a March 17 workshop at Mississippi State University.
Register now for the Small Ruminant Production Workshop that runs from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. The event is offered by the MSU Extension Service and Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station.
Many people dream of having a hobby farm or homestead with a few animals, and goats, lambs and sheep are some of the most popular to start with because they are smaller and easier to handle than cattle. Plus, you need less space! But all animals need proper care, no matter their size.
COLUMBUS, Miss. -- Goat and sheep producers in Mississippi are invited to attend a Small Ruminant Management and FAMACHA Training workshop later this month.
FAMACHA is an acronym for the Faffa Malan Chart, a system goat and sheep producers use to treat stock against barber pole worm. The workshop, hosted by the Mississippi State University Extension Service, begins at 6 p.m. Aug. 15 at the Lowndes County Extension office on 485 Tom Rose Road in Columbus.