Policies & Procedures
The Bost Conference Center exists primarily to support the educational, cultural, and developmental activities of Mississippi State University, and MSU’s Facilities Use Policy and Procedures Policy governs its usage (MSU OP 91.354).
No activities in violation of federal, state, or local laws, ordinances, rules, or regulations of Mississippi State University shall be permitted in the Bost Conference Center.
In the best interest of Mississippi State University, it may be necessary under unusual circumstances to give priority to one event in favor of another. If rescheduling becomes necessary, the unit or group holding the reservation will be notified as far in advance as possible.
Use of Facilities by Outside Organizations
In accordance with MSU OP 91.354, if an outside organization requests to use Bost Conference Center, a request from the outside organization must be made in writing and submitted for approval.
If the Director of Extension and the Vice President of the Division of Agricultural, Forestry, and Veterinary Medicine (DAFVM) believe circumstances warrant an exception to allow an outside organization the use of the facility because no other facilities are available to meet their needs locally, they will make a written recommendation through the Coordinator of Event Services to the MSU President for appropriate action.
Guidelines for Use
All organizations/users wishing to use the Bost Conference Center must comply with the following policies:
Decorations & Use of Facilities
- The use of nails, tacks, screws, staples, tape, or similar articles on walls, floors, podiums, or plaster surfaces is not allowed.
- The use of glitter, confetti, or small table sprinkles is strictly prohibited.
- All decorations shall be mounted without defacing the building.
- No decorations or lighting of any type may be hung on walls, from overhead lights, or from ceiling.
- No free-standing candles, tapers, or pillars of any kind may be used.
Audio & Visual Equipment
- Bost Conference Center equipment such as digital projectors, sound systems, video equipment, and wall partitions may be operated ONLY by Bost Conference Center staff and those they approve.
- Any and all costs to repair or replace damage incurred to such devices by the organization/user or its agents, employees, patrons, guests, and others is the responsibility of the organization/user.
- Laptops are not provided; therefore, each group is responsible for bringing its own needed computer equipment.
Electrical Devices & Wires
- Organizations/users shall not install any wires or other electrical devices without prior permission from the Bost Conference Center Coordinator.
- All electrical, sound, video, or other cables run through doorways and walkways must be adequately taped down to prevent tripping.
Damage to Facilities
- The organization/user is responsible for any and all costs to repair damages to the Bost Conference Center caused by acts of the organization/user and its agents, employees, patrons, guests, and others, whether accidental or intentional.
Food & Drinks
- Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in any area of the Bost Conference Center. Anyone in violation of this policy, or who appears to be intoxicated, will be removed from the premises.
- No food or drinks are allowed in the theater area.
- All surfaces dirtied by food or beverages must be cleaned by the organization/user prior to leaving the premises.
- All leftover food and debris must be removed from the building (kitchen, trash cans, and refrigerators) by the organization/user prior to leaving the premises.
Event Equipment Set-up & Use
- All costs incurred by the Bost Conference Center for the set-up and use of tables and chairs, podiums, stages, and other event equipment is the responsibility of the organization/user.
- Individual groups are not allowed to set up tables and chairs on their own.
- All groups will be charged for the use of tables, chairs, podiums, etc. No group may request to use another group’s set-up in order to avoid usage fees.
Clean-up & Departure
- All decorative items, table arrangements, or event/personal items must be removed from the building immediately following the event.
- All trash must be removed by the organization/user following events.
- The Bost Conference Center Coordinator will request custodial services for all events and activities with 50 or more people in attendance and for all after-hours and weekend events. All clean-up charges are the responsibility of the organization/user and are based on the time of day, amount of required clean-up, and number of custodial workers needed to complete the job.
Parking and Traffic
- All organizations/users and their agents, employees, guests, and patrons will be subject to Mississippi State University traffic and parking regulations.
- All parking arrangements, if needed, must be made by the organization/user through the MSU Parking Services Department prior to the event.
- The loading dock area is for unloading and loading only. It cannot be used as a parking area for private vehicles. Improper parking or blocking of the loading dock will result in vehicles being towed at the owner’s expense.
- Bicycles, skateboards, scooters, and any motorized vehicle not needed for persons with disabilities are not allowed inside the Bost Conference Center.
Event Staff & Security
- Staff needed for the operation of the Bost Conference Center for specific events will be determined by the Bost Conference Center Coordinator and supplied as needed. Additional charges may be billed to the organization/user.
- All Bost Conference Center events, if deemed necessary, must have security present. The final determination for security needs will be made between the Bost Conference Center Coordinator, MSU Extension Director, University Police, and the Dean of Students for student organization events.
- All costs associated with needed security is the responsibility of the organization/user.
All organizations/users wishing to use the Bost Conference Center must comply with the following procedures.
- Large events or those requiring set-ups must be made a minimum of 5 days in advance to ensure adequate time for event set-up and coordination.
- Reservations for small events requiring no set-up must be made a minimum of 48 hours in advance.
- Reservations may be made in advance of an event date based on the following timetable:
- MSU Extension Service groups: up to 1 year in advance.
- DAFVM groups: up to 1 year in advance.
- MSU organizations: up to 6 months in advance.
- MSU registered student organizations: up to 6 months in advance.
- Those wishing to make a reservation MUST complete a Bost Conference Center Request form. This form can also be picked up from the Bost Conference Center main office from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Request forms should be completed by the organization/user who is authorized to make decisions and make payment for the reservation.
- All student organization reservation requests must include a completed and approved Student Activity Form (available at www.students.msstate.edu/policies/).
- Reservation confirmations or denials will be sent by email or written response within 72 hours (3 working days) of receipt of completed reservation request. No reservation request should be considered approved until confirmation is received from the Bost Conference Center Coordinator.
- All reservation changes must be made in writing (email, fax, or letter) by the person who originally submitted the reservation request. All changes should be emailed to email@example.com, faxed to 662-325-2607, or mailed to Center for Continuing Education, P.O. Box 7558, Mississippi State, MS 39762.
- All changes must be requested a minimum of 48 hours before the event date.
- Any additional expenses incurred due to a change in set-up or staffing needs will be the responsibility of the organization/user.
- All reservation cancellations must be made in writing (email, fax, or letter) by the person who originally submitted the reservation request. All cancellations should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to 662-325-2607, or mailed to Center for Continuing Education, PO Box 7558, Mississippi State, MS 39762. All cancellations must be made 48 hours in advance.
- Any and all costs incurred prior to the cancellation of an event are the responsibility of the organization/user.
- In the event of inclement weather, fire, or other events beyond reasonable control, neither party will be held responsible for the delay or cancellation of an event.
- In the event of an emergency, Bost Conference Center will follow all MSU Emergency Policies and Procedures to ensure the safety of all individuals.
- Appropriate emergency personnel will be notified by Bost Conference Center staff in the event of a medical, fire, or security emergency.