The Food Factor: Creamy Hamburger Potato Soup
Creamy Hamburger Potato Soup is full of cheesy goodness. It’s the perfect soup to warm you up with a hearty amount of protein to keep you full and satisfied!
Creamy Hamburger Potato Soup
Makes 12 2-cup servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 6 cups russet potatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cajun creole seasoning
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup green onion
- Brown ground beef and yellow onion in a Dutch oven or soup pot. Remove from pan and reserve for later.
- Add diced potatoes to the pot with salt, pepper, and Cajun creole seasoning. Sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth to pot, bring to a boil, and cook potatoes until soft.
- Using a potato masher, mash potatoes until they reach your desired consistency.
- Add cooked ground beef, milk, ½ cup of shredded cheese, and ¼ cup of green onion.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Serve garnished with remaining cheddar cheese and green onion.
Thanks to Texas A & M Agrilife Extension for this recipe!
Note: Kosher salt is often used for cooking. It has large, coarse grains and is made without common additives such as iodine. But if you don’t have kosher salt, it’s fine to use whatever type of salt you have on hand.
And if you like our recipes and videos, we’d love for you to share them with your friends! It really helps!
Subscribe to Extension for Real Life
Fill in the information below to receive a weekly update of our blog posts.