Food Assistance in Mississippi
- MDHS - Mississippi Department of Human Services
- SNAP - Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- TANF - Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- TEFAP - The Emergency Food Assistance Program
- WIC - Women, Infants & Children's Nutrition Program
- MS Food Network
- Twelve Baskets Food Bank (serving Harrison, Hancock, Jackson, Stone, Pearl River, George, and Perry Counties)
- Mid-South Food Bank (serving north Mississippi)
- Farmers Markets
- Summer Feeding Sites
Ever since I started hosting The Food Factor, I’ve been getting curious looks at the grocery store. Other shoppers will recognize me and look in my buggy to see what I’m buying. People assume that I must always eat healthy foods, or I never have dessert.
With all of the delicious, fresh vegetables available this time of year at great prices, vegetable burritos are a fast, farmers market-friendly meal you can whip up in no time. While Southwest-inspired recipes can hide a lot of calories, a few substitutions can keep you from breaking the calorie bank. (Photo by Jonathan Parrish/Cindy Callahan)
National Dairy Month is a great time to consider the numerous health benefits dairy products provide and how supporting the industry indirectly helps a variety of people.
Making your own baby food can be a great way to save money and capture fresh fruits and vegetables at their peak flavor. This means top nutrition and exciting new food experiences for your baby. (Besides, you know some of those baby food flavor combinations gross you out. When you make your own, you have full control!)
See what's new in Extension: Gather for First Extension Beef-Production Workshop, the Food Factor Goes Digital, Extension Professionals Share Expertise, and Extension Offers New HappyHealthy Program.