The Food Factor: “Baked” Potatoes in the Slow Cooker
Video by Jonathan Parrish
Who says you can’t have “baked potatoes” in the summertime?
I love baked potatoes, but I hate heating up the oven when the summer sun is sizzling. That’s when my slow cooker comes to the rescue! It’s fast and easy to wash, oil, and foil potatoes before work in the morning. Then, when I come home, I can add my healthy toppings and have a meal in no time.
How to “Bake” Potatoes in the Slow Cooker
4 russet potatoes
Olive oil for brushing
Herbs to taste
- Wash and dry potatoes.
- Use a fork or sharp knife to prick the potato skin about eight times.
- Lightly brush each potato with olive oil and season with herbs of your choice.
- Wrap each potato tightly with aluminum foil.
- Place in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or until tender.
- Use oven mitts or a spoon to remove from the slow cooker—these are HOT potatoes!
Thanks to our friends at Texas A&M AgriLife Extension and their Dinner Tonight series for this recipe!
Subscribe to Extension for Real Life
Fill in the information below to receive a weekly update of our blog posts.