Information Possibly Outdated
The information presented on this page was originally released on January 6, 2014. It may not be outdated, but please search our site for more current information. If you plan to quote or reference this information in a publication, please check with the Extension specialist or author before proceeding.
Schedule set for Extension gardening workshop series
MERIDIAN -- Garden enthusiasts with resolutions to learn more about their favorite hobby should mark their calendars for a series of workshops available at the county Extension office.
Wayne Porter, a regional Extension horticulture specialist, will kick off the 2014 “Lunch and Learn” program on Jan. 23 at noon. From February through November, workshops will be held the third Thursday of each month.
Porter delivers the workshop live at the Lauderdale County Extension office, but gardeners in any county can sign up to access the workshop through the interactive videoconference system at their local Extension office.
“The workshops are designed to give gardeners in-depth knowledge of a particular garden topic,” Porter said. “I hope this will translate into more successful home gardens and landscapes.”
2014 dates and topics:
- Jan. 23: Cool-season Vegetables
- Feb. 20: Ins and Outs of Grafting Plants
- March 20: Mulching Mania
- April 17: Rain Barrel Basics, Free Water for the Taking
- May 15: Basic Landscaping and Mistakes to Avoid
- June 19: Weed Control in the Lawn and Landscape
- July 17: Common Plant Problems
- Aug. 21: Poisonous Plants and How to Live with Them
- Sept. 18: Water Gardens
- Oct. 16: Rain Gardens
- Nov. 20: Backyard Fruit Production
- Dec. No program
For more information, contact Porter at 601-482-9764 or email@example.com.