The Food Factor: Spiced Cocoa
Video by Jonathan Parrish
Nothing says “happy holidays” like a cup of hot cocoa! This year, treat yourself to a homemade treat—spiced cocoa from scratch!
Sure, opening a premade mix is easy, but once you try these delicious homemade options, it will be hard to go back to the packets!
Enjoy, and happy holidays from The Food Factor crew!
- 4 cups fat-free or 1% milk
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, if desired
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- additional cinnamon, if desired
- dash of salt, if desired
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat milk and cinnamon in small saucepan over medium-low heat until simmering (do not let milk boil).
- Reduce heat and continue to slowly simmer for 2–3 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Whisk the cocoa, salt (if desired), and brown sugar into heated milk until well mixed with no lumps.
- Stir in vanilla (if desired) and pour into mugs.
- Sprinkle with extra cinnamon.
Thanks to the University of Georgia Extension for this printable recipe.
And if you like our recipes and videos, we’d love for you to share them with your friends! It really helps!
Subscribe to Extension for Real Life
Fill in the information below to receive a weekly update of our blog posts.