4 Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle
Video by Jonathan Parrish
National Nutrition Month is a time to sharpen your focus on your lifestyle, with an emphasis on your eating and physical activity habits. Learn what this campaign is about and get tips to help you improve your lifestyle from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:
National Nutrition Month® is an annual campaign created 50 years ago in 1973 by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. During the month of March, everyone is invited to learn about making informed food choices and developing healthful eating and physical activity habits.
This year's theme is "Fuel for the Future." Eating with sustainability in mind is a tasty way to nourish ourselves during every phase of life and protect the environment.
Eat with the environment in mind.
- Enjoy more plant-based meals and snacks.
- Purchase foods with minimal packaging.
- Buy foods in season and shop locally when possible.
- Start a container or backyard garden to grow food at home.
See a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN).
- Ask your doctor for a referral to an RDN.
- Find an RDN who specializes in your unique needs.
- Learn how nutrient needs may change with age.
- Receive personalized nutrition information to meet your health goals.
Stay nourished and save money.
- Plan your meals and snacks.
- See what food you have at home before purchasing more.
- Use a grocery list and shop sales when purchasing food.
- Learn about community resources such as SNAP, WIC and local food banks.
Eat a variety of foods from all food groups.
- Include your favorite cultural foods and traditions.
- Eat foods in various forms including fresh, frozen, canned, and dried.
- Avoid fad diets that promote unnecessary restrictions.
- Practice gratitude for your body by giving it the fuel it needs.
For more information and resources related to the campaign, visit the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website.
For more helpful tips like these and healthy recipe options, visit extension.msstate.edu and join our MSU Nutrition and Wellness FB group.
Subscribe to Extension for Real Life
Fill in the information below to receive a weekly update of our blog posts.