4-H Volunteer Application Packet
Adults who assume volunteer roles with the Mississippi State University Extension Service have the opportunity for a rewarding experience. A volunteer’s role is easier to manage when expectations and responsibilities are outlined and communicated before the job assignment. The success of the 4-H youth development program is attributed to its volunteers.
A registered 4-H volunteer is anyone who contributes time, energies, or talents to the 4-H program and is not paid by MSU Extension. All 4-H volunteers must complete an application. 4-H volunteers can register in only one county.
The process to become a Mississippi State University Extension Service 4-H registered volunteer is as follows:
- Effective December 1, 2018, all potential 4-H volunteers MUST complete the MSU Extension-approved TrueScreen background check.
- Volunteers must fill out a Volunteer Application Packet.
- Volunteers must complete the Mandatory Online Training (Best Practices for Working with Underage Participants).
- Volunteers must complete the Minor Protection Policy Acknowledgment Form.
- Volunteers must be registered 4-H volunteers 30 days before any 4-H activity/event.
The Volunteer Application Packet contains the following documents:
- Volunteer application
- Reference forms completed by the Extension agent
- Volunteer expectations
- Volunteer position acceptance form
- A copy of background check form
The volunteer’s signature is required on the application, the position acceptance form, and the volunteer expectation form.
A registered 4-H volunteer is a volunteer who has completed the full volunteer application screening process, including screening, application, and training, and has been approved by the county MSU Extension agent and appointed by the MSU Extension associate director for youth development. To the extent authorized and allowed by law, this application form and its contents will be kept confidential and accessible only to appropriate MSU personnel and administrators.
Special note: Only MSU Extension-approved TrueScreen background checks will be accepted. This is an MSU policy, and, as an MSU unit, we will comply.
The Mississippi State University Extension Service is working to ensure all web content is accessible to all users. If you need assistance accessing any of our content, please email the webteam or call 662-325-2262.