Termite University is a recurring 2-day training event designed specifically for termite technicians, pest control company owners and managers and other members of Mississippi’s structural pest control industry. (11 training hours)
Termite University is co-sponsored by the Mississippi State University Extension Service’s Structural Insect Management Program and the Mississippi Department of Agriculture’s Bureau of Plant Industry in cooperation with the Mississippi Pest Control Association.
- Class Room Training: Bost Extension Conference Center, Mississippi State University
- Day 1 classes begin at 10:00 AM in Theater of Bost Conference Center
- Field Training: Redd Pest Training Facility at MSU Horse Park
- Training facility is approximately 5 miles from Bost Extension Center
Benefits of attendance:
- Recertification for wood-destroying insect category
- Training for new technicians
- Training enhancement for experienced technicians, managers and owners
- Training for persons preparing to take structural insect pests licensing or permit exams
- Termite identification and biology
- Termiticide testing methods
- Termite treatment regulations
- Lab specimens for ID practice
- WDIR Inspections and Reporting
- Pesticide safety
- Tools and methods for control
- Termiticide efficacy review
- Types of construction and how to treat
- Hands-on application demonstrations
- Volume calculations and graphs
- Formosan termites and drywood termites
Termite University Workshops, 2020
June 23-24, 2020
- Begins: 10:00 AM June 23
- Ends: 3:00 PM June 24
- Location: Bost Extension Conference Center, Mississippi State University
- Enrollment limited to 30 attendees
- Registration Fee: $160, payable online by credit card or electronic check (includes on-site lunch on both days and continental breakfast on Day 2)
- Register Here
- Termite University 2-day agenda.pdf
- Hotel Rooms: Starkville has numerous hotels located near the MSU campus. Be sure to book rooms early as sporting events and other MSU events can result in limited room availability, even on weekdays.
- Cancel 7 or more days before Day 1 of workshop to receive full refund.
- May transfer registration to someone else up to Day 1 of the workshop (please email)
- Email Mrs. Sherry McMullin: SMcMullin@entomology.msstate.edu
Future Termite University Workshops
Additional workshops will be held on an approximately quarterly basis throughout year.
Termites are probably not something you consider when you are gardening. But many landscaping tasks, including digging and mulching, can put your home at risk for termite damage. (Photo by Blake Layton)
Mississippi has an abundance of bugs, especially in the warmer months. We are all familiar with mosquitoes, bumblebees, and house flies. But I bet there are bugs around your house and yard that you can’t identify. (Photo by Blake Layton)
STARKVILLE, Miss. -- Officials with the Mississippi State University Extension Service broke ground on a termite application training facility alongside pest control industry sponsors during a ceremony April 6.
The Termite Technician Training Facility, or T3F, will be located near the Mississippi Horse Park in Starkville and is scheduled to be completed in early 2019.
STARKVILLE, Miss. -- The Mississippi State University Extension Service judged that the most economically important insects in the state should have their own website.
The site, https://extension.msstate.edu/termites, is the go-to place for information on termite biology, identification and control. The site describes the different species of termites found in the state and provides answers to common questions about the pests.
A dream of the Mississippi Pest Control Association and the Mississippi State University Extension Service is coming true after more than 20 years, thanks to a generous donation by one of Mississippi’s oldest pest-control companies.