Food Assistance in Mississippi
- MDHS - Mississippi Department of Human Services
- SNAP - Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- TANF - Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- TEFAP - The Emergency Food Assistance Program
- WIC - Women, Infants & Children's Nutrition Program
- MS Food Network
- Twelve Baskets Food Bank (serving Harrison, Hancock, Jackson, Stone, Pearl River, George, and Perry Counties)
- Mid-South Food Bank (serving north Mississippi)
- Farmers Markets
- Summer Feeding Sites
Kelli Whitten recently joined the Mississippi State University Extension Service Office of Nutrition Education as a regional registered dietitian for the Delta. She will help in the fight against obesity and chronic disease in Mississippi.
Every weekend before I go grocery shopping, I clean out the refrigerator and experience guilt.
Partially full yogurt containers past their expiration date. Shriveling squash. Browning celery. Leftovers I saved with good intentions but never ate. (Photo by Kevin Hudson)
I love to cook, but I’m always interested in learning about shortcuts.
That’s why I was really excited to watch this episode of “The Food Factor” – because MSU Extension Agent Natasha Haynes talks about saving time and money! (Photo by Brian Utley and Jonathan Parrish)
Confession: I have made some disgusting smoothies.
Whenever I’ve attempted to simply throw together a few ingredients, I have ended up with something that looked and tasted awful. (Photo by Kevin Hudson)
The Mississippi State University Extension Service recently launched a social marketing campaign, HappyHealthy, to help Mississippians improve their health while maintaining their traditions surrounding food.