Attala County 4-H Newsletter
A Note From Your Agent
I can't believe it is already September. It never fails to amaze me how fast the months fly by while you are having fun! I was positive that summer had just arrived and I looked at the calendar to see we only have a month left before the fall season begins. Honestly, Fall is my favorite time of the year. Cooler days, livestock shows and Christmas are right around the corner.
September is the beginning of a new 4-H year here in Attala County so I hope to have lots of new and old faces here in the office. Come check out all the cool and interesting things that each club has to offer. If there is something you are interested in that we don’t have let us know. I’m always willing to try something new that our youth find interesting and exciting.
We are also looking for volunteers to help lead our clubs. If you are interested in helping out or have a skill you would like to teach to our 4-H youth please let us know!
Yours in 4-H,
Becky Hamilton, Attala FCS/4-H Agent
Attala County 4-H Exhibit Day
4-H Exhibit Day will be held on September 21st and 22nd 2021. Please be sure that you come by the Extension office to pick up a copy of the exhibit handbook and entry tags. All exhibits must be tagged before you come to check-in. Exhibits will be checked in Tuesday, September 21st, from 1:30 —5:30 p.m.
The exhibits will be judged Wednesday, September 22nd. 4 -H Exhibit Day is a time to “exhibit” your 4 -H projects that you have made throughout the year.
Exhibit Day at the Mississippi State Fair will be Virtual this year.
2021 MS State Fair 4-H Day at the Fair
4-H Day will be held on Saturday, October 16th at the MS State Fairgrounds. Contest this year at the State Fair will be Modeling Squad, Fashion Review, Tractor Driving, Beef Cook-out, Pork Cook-out, Poultry Cook-out Poultry BBQ, New Mississippi 4-H Art Exhibition, and Stem Activities. For more information call the Office at (662) 289-1321.
Calling all artists! Mississippi 4-H Art Exhibition
Eligibility (who can enter)
- All youth who are enrolled as senior or collegiate 4-H’ers
- Collaborative work and group projects are allowed provided all participants are senior or collegiate 4-H’ers How to enter
- Enter through the County Extension agent or directly through the State 4-H Office.
- Deadline for entry is Monday, September 27th.
- All entries must be original artwork.
- Artwork must be 8” by 10” or larger.
- Artwork may be entered in the following categories: Drawing with any medium, Painting with any medium, Photography, Graphic Design.
- Each person may enter up to 4 pieces total, all in one category or mixed categories.
- Identification form must accompany artwork when it is entered.
Liability and Terms of Agreement
- By entering the 4-H’er/parent releases photographic rights to MSU-ES 4-H for purposes of education and publicity. This includes the right to post or print artwork.
- MSU-ES 4-H cannot be held responsible for plagiarism in the artwork.
- Decisions of judges are final, and cannot be challenged.
- Following the state judging, all youth who entered will be notified.
- All accepted artwork for the state exhibitions must be exhibit-ed for the entire exhibition. No early removal of artworks will be allowed, under any circumstances.
- Artwork accepted for the exhibition will be framed and possibly matted prior to display.
4-H STEM for the Holidays Kit
6 hands-on experiments + family fun = memories made
What's included in the kits?
Beads, pipe cleaners, a cookie cutter, gum drops, paper bag, coin cell battery, LEDs, copper tape, hot chocolate, marshmallows, syringes, balloons, peppermints, film canister, Alka seltzer, and black eyed peas (for good luck in 2022!)
What's not included in the kits?
Tape, scissors, crayons, cooking spray, aluminum foil
How will I know what to do with the materials?
Your Extension Agent will either do the experiments with you in-person or virtually.
How much does each kit cost?
$12. Order your kit here and pick up from your Extemsion Agent.
Attala County 4-H September Programs
- CloverBuds – The CloverBuds Club is a special group designed for those youth ages 5-7 who want to become involved in 4-H but are not old enough to be actual 4-H members. The group will be meeting at the Extension Office on Thursday, September 9th from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
- Junior Master Gardeners –The Attala County 4-H Junior Master Gardeners would love to share with you just how interesting gardening can be. Come join us at the Extension Office on Tuesday, September 14th from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. for a fun hour of “all about dirt”. We look forward to seeing you there. (Ages 8 & up)
- 4-H Lego Engineering Club - If you like Legos and Robotics then this is the club for you! We will walk you through designing with Legos and building and programing robots such as EV3s. Come join us at the Extension Office. (Ages 8 & up) Wednesday, September 22nd from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
- Bee Squad – So what do you think about BUGS? Come join us at the Extension Office for a fun hour of bugging around. If you have a friend that you think would be interested let them be our guest as well. We look forward to seeing you there. (Ages 8 and up) Tuesday, September 28th from 3:30 to 4:30 pm
- CloverBud Lego Club - If you like Legos and Robotics then this is the club for you! We will walk you through designing and building with Legos and programing robots such as Dash and Dot. Come join us at the Extension Office for some awesome fun. (Ages 5-7) Wednesday, September 29th from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
MSU policy states that anyone inside the Extension Office building will need to wear a mask at all times. Due to social distancing, we will only be able to have 8 youth at each program. Please call ahead to get your child put on the list. (662) 289-1321