4-H Forestry Frequently Asked Questions
How can I get started in 4-H Forestry?
Contact your local county extension office and ask the 4-H agent to get you started. That's all it takes.
What projects can I do in Forestry?
In 4-H forestry you can:
- learn how to identify trees that grow near your home
- collect tree seeds and grow tree seedlings from them
- plant seedlings for timber or to beautify your town
- search for champion trees
- learn how to measure standing trees for products
- learn the major insect and disease pests of southern forests
- and lots more
We invite you to start today.
What about careers in Forestry and Forest Products?
There are exciting careers in Forestry and in Forest Products. You can start your career at Mississippi State University. MSU is one of the finest schools in the South. To check out other career information in forestry see the Society of American Foresters Career Page.
There’s always something new happening in the world of Extension. This time, the spotlight is on a new workshop: “From Micro to Macro: Growing Ag Literacy.”
Before we get into the specifics, you might be asking, “what is ag literacy and why is it important?” (Photo by Kevin Hudson)
Housing start fluctuations and an abundance of timber are limiting the ceiling on stumpage prices in Mississippi now, but expect the market to improve when sawmills begin stocking up for winter.