Below is a list of Small Ruminant Livestock publications available. Publications can be obtained by contacting a county Extension office or clicking on a title below for an online version of the publication.
- New Information on Deworming for Small Ruminants
- Proceedings Paper - Anthelmintic Resistance and Management of Gastrointestinal Parasites in Small Ruminants: An Update
- A Suggested Health Program for Club Goats
- Common Diseases in Goats
- Goat Herd Health Calendar
- Hay Calculator Spreadsheet and Instructions
- Forage Production and Grazing Browsing Management - YouTube
- Meat Goat Selection Carcass Evaluation and Fabrication
- Goat Gestation Table
- Livestock Weight Calculator Spreadsheet for Youth Livestock Projects
- Publication 2781 – Meat Goat Management
- Publication 2782 – Meat Goat Selection
- Publication 2798 – Small Ruminent Budgeting and Marketing
The Meat Goat Memos are published throughout the year to address issues and events of importance to meat goat producers and youth project participants. Links to the most recent and archived issues appear below.
- A Quick Guide to Club Goat Selection
- A Quick Guide to Club Lamb Selection
- Goat Conformation
- Powerpoint Presentation The Junior Livestock Program
- Purchasing and Managing Your Market Lamb Project for the Show Ring
- Managing Your Club Goat Project and Preparing for the Show Ring
- Publication 2211 - Lamb Showmanship
- Publication 2264 - Club Goat Guide
- Publication 2263 - Club Goat Showmanship
- Publication 2477 - Market Lamb Project Guide: Health Care Management
- Publication 2478 - Market Lamb Project Guide: Nutrition
- Publication 2479 - Market Lamb Project Guide: Show Lamb Selection and Development
- Publication 2289 - Mississippi 4H Livestock Judging Manual - Sheep
RAYMOND, Miss. -- Agricultural producers and industry professionals met with Mississippi State University personnel in the coastal region to discuss research and education priorities at the 2022 Producer Advisory Council meeting. The annual event aims to help clients improve their productivity. Attendees gathered in small commodity groups at each event to share their ideas with agents, researchers and specialists with the MSU Extension Service and the Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station.
Central Mississippi agricultural producers and industry professionals met with Mississippi State University personnel to discuss research and education priorities at the 2022 Producer Advisory Council meeting on Feb. 23 in Raymond. The annual event is aimed at helping clients improve their productivity. Attendees gathered in small commodity groups to share their ideas with agents, researchers and specialists with the MSU Extension Service and the Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station.
Dairy goats make up a niche market of the Mississippi livestock industry, but their popularity is growing across the state. Interest has grown among 4-H livestock program members, people who participate in various other showmanship contests and people who want goat milk products.
STARKVILLE, Miss. -- Each February marks the occasion for producers to share their research and programming needs with Mississippi State University agricultural specialists in person.
To comply with COVID-19 social distancing guidelines, the opportunity will be extended virtually this year.
The Mississippi State University Extension Service has a new specialist to support the important small-ruminant industry in the state.
Leyla Rios de Alvarez began work at MSU in December as an assistant Extension/research professor of small ruminant production in the Department of Animal and Dairy Sciences.