4-H Shooting Sports Ambassador Program
4-H SHOOTING SPORTS AMBASSADOR PROGRAM
A 4-H Shooting Sports Ambassador is an authorized representative of the MSU Extension 4-H Youth Development Program. A 4-H Shooting Sports Ambassador is to be a self-motivated, enthusiastic leader who promotes 4-H Shooting Sports using the skills, knowledge, and leadership abilities acquired in 4-H with fellow members, area residents, community leaders, elected officials, and other young people. A 4-H Shooting Sports Ambassador serves to strengthen the 4-H program through public relations.
4-H Shooting Sports Ambassadors are youth representatives for the 4-H Youth Development Program; therefore young people with proven excellence in 4-H achievement and citizenship have the opportunity to become 4-H Shooting Sports Ambassadors.
Being selected as a 4-H Shooting Sports Ambassador is an honor that carries great responsibility. Ambassadors serve as emcees, program facilitators, and members of county and state council committees. 4-H Shooting Sports Ambassadors are role models who uphold high standards in making the best better in their clubs, communities, country, and world.
First and foremost a 4-H Shooting Sports Ambassador will promote firearms and archery safety and hold it in the highest regards. They will also bridge the gap between youth development and the project of shooting sports to enhance leadership, citizenship, and communication skills as teen leaders. 4-H Shooting Sports Ambassadors will be a voice other youth in the 4-H Shooting Sports program and will assist with programs in the state, serve as positive role models to youth, and will promote individual growth for themselves and other 4-H members.
- Promote safe and ethical behavior within the 4-H Shooting Sports project.
- Make 4-H Shooting Sports more visible in the county and across the state of Mississippi.
- Maintain and build relationships with 4-H alumni and supporters.
- Increase membership in the statewide 4-H Shooting Sports project.
- Promote individual growth for themselves as well as other 4-H members.
STATE MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS
- Must be a senior-level registered 4-H’er.
- Must have at least one full year left to be a 4-H member
- Must have a genuine commitment to 4-H.
- Must be willing to put a high priority on the responsibilities of serving as a State 4-H Shooting Sports Ambassador.
- Must have a genuine enthusiasm for 4-H.
- Must be a team player at all times.
- Serve as spokespersons for the 4-H Shooting Sports program at their respective levels of participation — national, regional, state, county — helping to make 4-H Shooting Sports programs more visible.
- Must be able to meet people easily.
- Must have academic performance that will permit being absent from school without seriously jeopardizing grades.
- Must be well groomed and willing to wear the official Ambassador attire.
- Must exhibit leadership skills and be in good standing with the local county 4-H program.
- Must be an active participant in the 4-H Shooting Sports Program.
- Must maintain a positive behavior.
- Must have excellent communication skills, in both formal and informal environments.
HOW TO APPLY
- Submit a cover letter, 4-H vita, and two letters of support to the local county Extension office.
- Your Extension agent will submit a confidential letter of recommendation.
- Your Extension agent will submit all documents to the state 4-H office.
- A committee will judge the cover letters and vitae with judging rubrics.
- Applicants will be notified if they have been selected for an interview.
- The selected individuals will give a 7-minute presentation on a topic identified by the state 4-H Shooting Sports Advisory Board. Judges will ask questions about the presentation.
- A panel will use the State 4-H Shooting Sports Ambassador Judging Rubric to judge the applicants.
- Interviews and results will be announced during 4-H Congress.
- The judges’ decisions are final.
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE IN THE MSU EXTENSION STATE 4-H OFFICE BY MARCH 1, 2019.