Rural Medical & Science Scholars Flyer - High School Poster
Updated: November 28, 2017
View as PDF: M1343.pdf
High School Juniors!
Get a jump-start on college and explore a career in health or science!
Rural Medical & Science Scholars
JULY 7–AUGUST 3
For 4 weeks this summer, you can —
- take two college-level pre-med courses (biology and individual and family nutrition).
- visit the UMMC Medical School and talk to faculty and students.
- experience the day-to-day practice of medicine by shadowing doctors as they work.
- earn certification as a Junior Master Wellness Volunteer.
- participate in practical learning activities such as
- Scholars in the Kitchen, Medicinal Aspects of Botanical Plants,
- Suturing Techniques and One Health, Biosecurity in the Age of Avian
- Influenza, Injury and Illness (I²) Simulation
- live on campus at Mississippi State University and get a taste of college life!
To qualify, you must—
- be currently completing your junior year in high school.
- have achieved a minimum composite ACT score of 24.
- have high school grades in line with your ACT score.
- have a desire to learn about a career in health or science.
- be a resident of Mississippi.
How much does it cost? $2,400
- Program fee includes tuition reduction through the MSU College Ready Program, housing, textbooks, and program application fee.
- Food costs and weekend travel expenses are variable and not included in the program fee.
- Additional cost information is available online at extension.msstate.edu/rms.
An individual’s financial situation should not be a deterrent to applying to and successfully completing the program; limited scholarships available.
Are you ready to apply? Here’s how!
- Complete the student portion of the application.
Find it at extension.msstate.edu/RMS.
- Ask one of your teachers to write a recommendation letter.
- Ask your teacher to forward the application and recommendation to your guidance counselor.
- Your counselor will need to attach your ACT scores and an official transcript and mail the completed application packet postmarked no later than March 30, 2018.
Contact Your County Office
Your Extension Experts
November 6, 2018
October 24, 2018
February 9, 2018
August 25, 2017
June 14, 2017