Game Birds and Ratites
The production of game birds and ratites has become very popular within the last 10-20 years. The knowledge base about these birds is rapidly expanding and will continue as the industries develop. Widely diverse practices are used that vary depending on the species of birds produced and the purpose for its production.
Emphasis at this web site is directed to the production of bobwhite quail, although information is also made available on other upland game birds and Ratites. Bobwhite quail are primarily produced for eventual slaughter (consumption) or release on shooting preserves, where they are eventually hunted for sport. The type of bird desired will dictate the type of management that is required. Although several publications address topics relating to habitat management, the primary emphasis of this site will be upon commercial production of the birds.
This site offers basic materials that answer many questions that producers initially ask. Additional information is available from industry associations, government agencies, and private web sites.
Frequently Asked Questions
- My bobwhite quail appear sick and are losing weight (especially in breast muscles) and the mortality is very high. What is wrong?
- What causes the lesions and scabby areas on the feet and toes of my bobwhite quail?
- How can I improve the quality of feathers on my bobwhite quail?
- What feeds should I offer my bobwhite quail?
- Should I feed medications in my game bird feeds?
- What feed ingredients are used in quail diets?
- How much floor space should I provide for my bobwhite quail?
- What temperatures are recommended for brooding quail?
- How do I get rid of mites and lice from by game birds?
- How do I treat my game birds to rid them of intestinal worms?
- Sanitation - Cleaning and Disinfectants addresses the concerns and procedures for maintaining a sanitary and low- disease environment in the hatchery and other poultry facilities.
- Diseases of Poultry is a manual that discusses the many diseases in poultry and gamebird populations. Includes symptoms, causes, treatments and preventative measures.
- Solutions for Poultry is a compilation of many treatments used by the poultry producer to treat conditions or improve the productive status of the flock.
- Feeding Gamebirds is a discussion of nutritional concerns that the game bird producter should address when producing healthy birds. Includes diets formulated for various ages of quail.
BILOXI, Miss. -- Many cattle producers in Mississippi like Bobby Jones do not have access to a dedicated large-animal veterinarian.
Mississippi’s poultry took an estimated 23% loss in value in 2023; though production was strong, a failure to meet the previous year’s record high prices was responsible for the hit. Poultry generated an estimated $3.1 billion to Mississippi agriculture in 2023, down from the $3.9 billion generated in 2022.
Poultry is big business in Mississippi, and poultry producers are having to manage disease and high feed costs to produce the meat and eggs that Americans consume in great quantities. Poultry is the most consumed meat in the U.S., according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, followed by beef and then pork. Eggs are also popular, with Americans eating close to 250 eggs per person each year.
She grew up in the 4-H youth development program in Indiana, and her husband was in Ohio 4-H. Fast-forward a few years, and Inez Saum became a volunteer leader for Mississippi 4-H.
The 4-H Poultry Chain Project regularly receives generous donations from organizations across the state, but the project has never received a donation quite like Southern AgCredit’s pledge of $25,000 over 5 years.
Extension helps Okolona producer improve profitability and maintain healthy birds
Joe Ellis knew almost nothing about chickens when he began raising them for Peco Foods, Inc., in 2008.